Here at The Hot Yoga Factory, we’re always looking for ways to fine tune our offerings so that you have plenty of opportunities to get to class and keep your body and mind as healthy as possible.
Beginning on Friday, June 22, and running through August, you can try our new Friday afternoon Bikram Express class from 4:30 to 5:30 pm.
Want to know more? Read on!
What’s different about the Express class?
- Class only lasts an hour.
- We’ll practice with less heat, generally in the mid to upper 80s.
That’s it. Same 26 postures and 2 breathing exercises, same certified instructors, same class rates.
Why are you changing things for the Express class?
- We’re hoping to encourage more kids to practice yoga. This July we’ll restart our Youth Yoga program, which is a shorter class done in lower heat than the regular beginner’s class. This class will give them an additional time to practice during the week .
- While the heat is an important ingredient in our regular beginner’s class, and while most adult students eventually adjust to it, it can sometimes be daunting for new students who are also trying to figure out the postures. Before you fall in love with the practice and realize how amazing you feel after a heated class, it can be a challenge to talk yourself into coming to the studio when you’re already sweating just walking around on a summer day. So we’re hoping this class will be a stepping stone for newer yogis, or just an interesting option for students looking to mix things up.
- Some students have taken and appreciated 60-minute classes at other studios and asked us to give it a try at The Hot Yoga Factory. We listened!
How will you fit class into 60 minutes?
- Although we’ll do all 26 postures and both breathing exercises, we will only do one set of some postures (the ones we choose might change from class to class).
- During the floor postures, we might flow from posture to posture during a series (such as Cobra, Locust, Full Locust, Bow), saving the Savasana until the end of the series.
- We’ll only do one set of each breathing exercise.
Didn’t you say that the heat is there partly so that we can safely stretch? Should I be worried about practicing in a cooler class?
- Yes, the heat is an important and powerful tool. But it’s summer, and likely the ambient temperature will already be quite warm. You will still build body heat and sweat and your muscles will be nice and warm.
- If you are used to the 90-minute heated class, we’ll remind you to ease into postures a little more carefully. You might be surprised to find yourself “missing” the fully heated room, but you might also find that you have a bit more strength and energy. Be curious.
You said this class is open to all ages. Do you really mean that? Can I bring my 7-year-old?
- Kids ages 14 and up can practice without a parent once a waiver has been signed.
- Kids 13 and under must be accompanied by an adult. If you feel that your child has the attentional and emotional maturity to try a challenging class that’s an hour long, please do give it a try. It’s actually an amazing thing to have many different generations in a room practicing together. This yoga really is for everyone.
— Ellen Olson-Brown, The Hot Yoga Factory Chelmsford